Let me start by saying that I was really lucky. My grandma (a wedding cake baker) started teaching me to decorate cakes from the time I was a kiddo, and when I wasn’t learning from her I was in the kitchen with my mom (a caterer) so I was pretty much covered on the learn-to-cook front. I don’t remember ever seeing a can of cream-of-whatever in our house, and homemade pizzas and pastas were totally normal. So were homemade cupcakes (YUM).
To make great cupcakes, you need to first master the basics. After all, a beautifully decorated cupcake doesn’t mean anything if the cake itself is gross. You have to start with a tasty cupcake canvas!
So let’s start with my 10 best tips for baking the perfect cupcake!
- USE THE BEST INGREDIENTS AVAILABLE.
- BRING INGREDIENTS TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- DON’T OVERMIX THE BATTER.
- USE A SCOOP TO FILL CUPCAKE LINERS – DON’T EYEBALL IT.
- PRE-HEAT, AND THEN TAKE THE TEMPERATURE.
- BAKE IN THE CENTER OF YOUR OVEN.
- RESIST THE URGE TO PEEK.
- DON’T LEAVE THE CUPCAKES IN THEIR PANS.
- STORE CUPCAKES PROPERLY.
- FROST THE WHOLE CUPCAKE TO RETAIN MOISTURE